Wednesday, November 2, 2016

National Baby Loss Day

October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. Mothers, fathers, and families across the country take a few extra moments to reflect and remember the lives gone too early.
On October 25, 1988 it was President Reagan who first declared October to be Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. Currently all 50 states have annual proclamations, with Kansas, among others, holding permanent proclamations declaring the day (October 15th) of Remembrance. (Taken from birthwaves.org)

Recently I had been asked to be on the board of an organization that provides services for pregnancy and infant loss.  After speaking with one of the founders, I accepted.  They are still working on getting everything setup.  They just had their first event in October for the Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness day.  It was held on October 15th in the park.  Candles were set around the path and it was so peaceful.

 We lit a candle for our babies (of course ours was for Kooper).  And we shared our stories.  It was so helpful to be around others who have experienced the same thing and understand the emotions.  One couple had lost their baby almost 30 years ago and to this day it still hurts and she still cries.  Makes me know that I am human and that it is ok. 








It was a small turnout but I know as the organization grows so will this event.  I hope to encourage anyone out there that has experienced a miscarriage, a loss of a baby or child to attend an event.  It is so helpful!  
I am so incredibly grateful to be asked to serve on this.  I feel maybe this is something I was called to do after what I had experienced!  

No comments:

Post a Comment