Monday, August 10, 2015

Zo's Journey

There is a lot that goes with this post but I will try to make it the short version.  Back in May my mom and I took Lorenzo to the ER in which turned out to be issues with his Crohns yet again.  They admitted him to the hospital with surgery to follow a couple days later.  Surgery that would turn into 7 of them with in like 2 weeks.  After the 2nd surgery things turned for the worse.  We were told that the next 72 hours were critical--that same night, they put him on a ventilator, they wanted him to rest.  Within a couple of hours critical was putting it mildly.  We were not sure he would even make it. The infection in basic terms was taking over his body.  And those are words you don't want to hear.  The next 24 hours (and a whole lot more) we spent praying and waiting.  Waiting for his vitals to go up, waiting for him to set up and talk to us, waiting, waiting and waiting.  My brother and I had our fair share of fights as kids but he is still my brother and we are close.  I sat there knowing I didn't know what I would do without him.  It is hard sitting here and trying to put all of this into words so I apologize for bouncing around.......  All we could do was pray!  And let me tell you, prayers do work.  By late that same evening, his vitals were improving.  Praise God!! 

Sorry for the graphic picture, this was taken that evening he was so critical.  However, it is my proof to him I can be nice :) 
Over the next couple of days, we did more waiting, more praying and snacks!

 Two days after surgery #2, he was off the ventilator, vitals were looking good and he was coming off the meds.  We thought things were on their way up.  He even was being ornery with some of the things he told us--we have a whole book of those stories :)....Just when we thought it was going good...bam....more infection and another surgery.   This brought more tears, more praying and more waiting. When this surgery was finished, the Dr. said it was time to move to a larger hospital with more resources.  So off he went will us trailing behind.  
 This was the chapel at the hospital.  Spent some time in here praying.  It was beautiful and the hospital surrounds the chapel so as you look out the windows you look down on this. 
 This is how you entertain children in a hospital...electronics and a coat tent!
 More entertainment for the children! :)
 After 4 more surgeries, 10+ days on the ventilator, and approx. a month in the hospital,  they finally were able to get his insides where they needed to be and could move him to a rehabilitation hospital.  He had to start over on what would be "normal" things for him to do such as walking, holding his phone, eating etc.  He was at the rehab hospital for about 3 weeks.

Here are some pics of him working hard!! And being ornery.



 It was finally time to come home!!


 He was welcomed home by a street full of people with signs and balloons.  And silly string from the kids (I think it was my Aunt Donna's idea) :)















It was so overwhelming, not just for him but all of us.

This was one of his earlier outings when he got home!!!

I know this is a random picture to post but the whole time they told us he wasn't going to make it, all I could picture was this.  Him holding Kooper.  I don't know why or what the meaning of it was but that is all I could see.   Maybe it was him telling me that he was watching over his uncle!
It was a very rough time, but we had the support of our family, friends, Church, coworkers, etc..  I kept telling him he couldn't leave me by myself to take care of our parents alone :)  

I want to thank everyone so very much for your support in so many ways--prayers, texts, phone calls, financial, cards and love.  We appreciate it so very much.  I have no words!!!!  We are so grateful for the him being home and getting back to "normal".    Again thank you so much. Love to you all!!

On another note, this song was playing a lot through the time he was in the hospital, I kept hearing it on the radio, so I looked it up and it is about 2 brothers and how they picked on each other as kids but as adults they are there for each other.  Thought it was appropriate even if I am a sister not a brother :)

"Brother"
Ramblers in the wilderness we can’t find what we need
Get a little restless from the searching 
Get a little worn down in between
Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em’ shining like a lighthouse from the sea

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

Face down in the desert now there’s a cage locked around my heart
I found a way to drop the keys where my failures were 
Now my hands can’t reach that far
I ain’t made for a rivalry I could never take the world alone
I know that in my weakness I am strong, but
It’s your love that brings me home

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

And when you call and need me near
Sayin' where'd you go?
Brother I'm right here
And on those days when the sky begins to fall
You're the blood of my blood
We can get through it all

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re feelin' low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

By Needtobreath

Zo, we are so glad you are still here with us. We always find the blessings in the bad times and I think we did.  Know that we always love you no matter what!!!  Keep strong!
Steve, Tiff, Reanna, Hunter & Kooper

No comments:

Post a Comment